Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Feminism

I was raised by mostly men so studying about feminism is a real eye opener. The men never really treated me like a girl. I was always treated like a boy with long hair. I did not even recognize that there was a difference between males and females. I did not recognize the difference until I was probably in second grade. All throughout elementary and high school the teachers were worried about my lack of feminism.

I come from a small Southern town where women are expected to act and dress a certain way. It was not necessarily bad if you did not act in the stereotypical way, but people definitely looked at you in a different way. Being a feminist is an insult where I am from. It implies that you are hard headed in all the wrong ways. After having all of the preconceived notions, it is interesting to see what the feminist movement is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment