Thursday, April 28, 2011

Feminism

I was reflecting on our class about Simone de Beauvior. I was thinking about how women can even the playing field...if a woman is trying to be less "feminine" isn't she just trying to be more like a man? And if she embraces the "feminine" then she is just accepting what man has classified her to be. It almost seems hopeless, like there is no way to break the mold. I started to notice these things in my everyday life. Sometimes I play basketball in the gym with some boys from my work. I noticed that whenever they boys make a three pointer it's a high five and then the game continues. Well I happen to have a pretty good shot, so when I made a three pointer, all the boys stopped in awe. "Wow a girl made a three pointer! She is amazing." I felt like they thought my shot was so amazing purely because I was a woman. It made me angry...I don't want special treatment. I don't want my standards to be dumbed down, and when I actually meet men's standards it's considered a feat. Hopefully one day women can reinvent what being feminine really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment