Friday, April 29, 2011

Existentialism and Art



Recently in my art history class we discussed the topic of existentialism. I love whenever my classes simultaneously teach me about the same topic because it offers a completely different perspective on the issues that I may have never considered. We discussed existentialism in regards to the surrealist painter and sculptor Giacometti. I am an art major so I was very interested in learning about what inspired different artist. Alberto Giacometti is know in the art world for being associated with existentialism. Giacometti became friends with Jean- Paul Sartre and Simone de Beauvior around the 40's and later came to know Samuel Beckett. Jean- Paul had the biggest influence on Giacometti and his work. Many of Giacometti's sculptures have an interesting texture and a very narrow body and face. This directly associates with Sartre's idea of people choosing to be fully present in time or just going through the motions. Giacometti's sculptures depict someone who is not fully aware and involved in their life. Often viewers feel discomfort when viewing his sculptures and are described as haunting.

This was one of the first times in history that artists, philosophers, and writers were so intertwined that it is unsure of who is influencing who. Many people believe that Giacometti was influenced by Sartre. Some suggest that Sartre used Giacometti to further push the ideas of existentialism by manipulation his figures to have a different meaning than Giacometti actually intended and using Giacometti as a mediator to people interested in art. But than again some people believe that most of Sartre's ideas were actually Simone de Beauvoir's. Maybe Simone de Beauvior was a master at manipulation and planned to have her ideas be known anyway possible. Or perhaps Sartre and Giacometti were simply friends because they had the same views on the meaning of life. I will never know the answer to these questions, but I have learned the power of art and the value in incorporating all aspects of myself into my artwork.

The two pictures are of Giacometti's sketches and of his more famous sculptures.




No comments:

Post a Comment