Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Carpe Diem

Over break my mom and a bunch of her friends from college got together and made T-shirts that had Carpe Diem on them with the year they graduated from school. They told me that this stood for there experience in college and how they would alway live in the moment. After her explaining that to me I automatically thought about learning about Carpe Diem in philosophy. I really enjoyed the quote by Marcus Aurelius that went something like this, "Leave the past behind you, entrust in the future and act in harmony with nature." And now that I am in college I think about living in Carpe Diem and how hard that would be due to grades. We all have to dwell on the bad test grade we just got and look to the future to make up for the bad grade and work to make up for it. But I like the way Seneca puts it, "In this moment all the world belongs to me!" This is very true, I can live this moment anyway I would like, I can sit around being lazy or go and work hard in school and then I can entrust in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I agree completely with living in the moment Kelsey. Right now the world is ours and we can do what we wish to do with it. It is true that we do get some bad grades from time to time but to truly live in the moment you must dwell on it the right amount of time, move on and leave it behind you. We must understand that there will be another test, another opportunity, another chance to learn from our mistakes and better ourselves. All of us have the desire to better ourselves, thats why we chose to go to college and are here today. Growing as a person starts with you and it starts RIGHT NOW. It most certainly won't start tomorrow. So live today as there were no more days to live and give life your all.

    ReplyDelete