Thursday, April 28, 2011

Simone de Beauvoir: An Inspiration

Though both of my parents are decently progressive in their political and social perspectives, there will always be a part of them that maintains a very traditional approach to some of these topics. All four of my grandparents were born and raised in Greece and did not move to the US until the 50's and 60's. All of them not only try to preserve their traditional identities, but are also extremely proud and almost flaunt their religious, political, and social views. One of their most conservative views is the role of women within society and especially in a household.
Growing up, I was constantly told how I should act as a "proper" girl by my grandparents, and occasionally reprimanded for the same reasons by my parents. Though my mother grew up in the 60's and always talks about the Women's Rights Movement and what a great time period it was, she still slips sometimes and contradicts her support of women normally by purposefully exhibiting what she believes should be the role of a women. I've never felt extremely pressured to act a certain way just because it was what my family believed, but I'll always feel a small sense of obligation to live up to SOME of the expectations they have - although that's really only when I'm around them.
It's easier for someone like me in this time period, after women have come so far in the past 60-70 years, to not feel obligated to play into a specific gender role. That is why women like Simone de Beauvoir are really inspiring. The only people I really have to argue against are my foreign grandparents who might as well have been born in the 1800's. She had the ability to fight for women, the stereotypes of human sexuality, and gender roles before any large movement was started to back her up.

1 comment:

  1. I could relate to this blog post because my sister went through an experience similar to this one. My grandmother always was on her about how she dressed and that she shouldn't wear clothes that were too revealing. Simone De Beauvoir and my grandmother are similar in age, so I could understand why they are so consevative.

    ReplyDelete