Friday, April 29, 2011

Memory and Death

I recently got told the theory that the more a person remembers something the less likely that memory is accurate; each time a person remembers a moment the accuracy decreases. I think of this in occasions of death and how often I try to remember those people who have passed away. Am I doing them in justice by thinking about them? Warping, in my mind, the memories and the person they were? Of course I never think ill of these people who I loved and the memories I conjure up are never the bad ones-- so is this really that bad? Maybe this is the afterlife. Maybe people who have died continue living in the memories we choose for them, we change for them, we exaggerate and make happy for them?

Would you really like to be remembered for exactly the person you are, in which people would have to never remember you in order to preserve that accuracy? Or do you hope in your death that the bad will be overlooked and eventually forgotten forever? Either way, at least parts of yourself will be completely forgotten without you continually validated them.

Remember less, so you can remember me best.

No comments:

Post a Comment