Friday, April 29, 2011

Role in Society

Because the year is coming to an end and classes are being scheduled for next semester, I have been rethinking my major. As a visual arts major, one of the most common questions that I am asked is " What are you going to do with that?". I find it frustrating to keep defending my major. It has me questioning what my major should actually be and how I can best contribute to society. In America we are so consumed with money and material objects and I wonder if staying a visual arts major is right for me. At the beginning of the year I was embarrassed to tell anyone what my major was because I knew that there would immediately be assumptions, and some people would misunderstand. Some people look at having this major as being a "cop out" or being uneducated in anything else. This class has helped me accept the social norms and work to overcome them. I hope that I am successful, maybe not in terms of money and material objects, but because I am doing what I truly should be doing regardless of any factors that would normally inhibit artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment