Friday, April 29, 2011

Aristotle's Take on Friendship

I recently read Aristotle's theory on friendship from his work Nicomachean Ethics. He says that the best form of friendship is a friendship based on what is good, in which friends enjoy each other's virtue. This friendship will endure because the only motive for it is the care that each friend feels for one another. He also states that this form of friendship is rare because good people are hard to come by, and friendship based on the good is outnumbered by friendships of pleasure and friendships of utility. I could not help but agree with Aristotle because the friendships I share with my friends have always seemed so different from other groups of friends. We genuinely love and care about each other, and we fully accept each other. I attended an all girl's high school, and I was never able to understand how girls could bounce from friend to friend. I almost feel as if people don't understand the true meaning of friendship. Without my friends, I would go crazy. I confide in them, and they confide in me. Our group has no cattiness; we don't secretly hate each other as many friends do, and we're completely real with one another. I think this is the reason why I don't make strong friendships very easily. I've always prided myself on my judge of character; and when I come across a genuine person, they stand out to me almost immediately. The only problem is that, in my opinion, genuine people are tough to come by. I guess that's why I only have four people whom I consider my best friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment