Friday, April 29, 2011

Originally Posted January 23rd, 2011

Arguing

One of the subjects we discussed in class this week was the art of arguing. Without making a hasty generalization, it seems that some, if not most people, would agree that arguing seems to almost immediately have a negative connotation. This would make sense, seeing as an argument is the exchange of two conflicting ideas with each individual and their ideas are exchanged with the idea of both proving your point correct, and proving the opposition's point wrong. For myself, however, I have never seen arguing as a negative thing, as it resolves conflict, and allows one to express their individual view. In class, Dr. Layne and myself began exchanging ideas, or arguing, about the validity of nihilism. Although, I would not completely define my view on the world as nihilistic, my views do share certain commonalities with nihilist. By arguing with Dr. Layne, she was able to gain a better grasp on my view, and I was able to gain a better grasp on her. Although we argued, it seems that the result of our arguing was not only positive but enlightening for the both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment