Thursday, April 28, 2011

Religious or Fanatic

I do not understand why it is that Abraham is considered a man in the religious state of being. Yes, he is in a one to one relationship with his good which is God's will, but he blindly and unquestioningly follows this good. Is not the definition of a fanatic person someone who blindly follows their religion (or their skewed perception of religion) without the thought that what they are doing could be wrong? I would have to argue that Abraham planning to kill his son for his Christian god is not religious. This is an act of fanaticism. It would only be religious if he was in dialogue with his god in order to understand why what he is doing is not murder.

3 comments:

  1. I don't agree with this blog because I feel that Abraham was being religious by listening to God's orders to murder his son. He may be ethically a murderer but, that doesn't mean that he isn't religious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that following something so blindly is a little fanatical. The thing is that we can only put the label "fanatic" to those who we don't like. So if I christian is to look at Abraham they would say he is a man of great faith but when some one follows blindly for another cause that we don't agree with we label them fanatics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Shad. I think of it this way, would a delusional man "being told by god" to murder someone be a religious act? People would just think he is crazy, delusional when in reality that's the same act Abraham completed.

    ReplyDelete