Friday, April 29, 2011

Karl Marx

At a certain point in my life, I used to very much identify with Marxism, and have even referred to myself as a Marxist. For much of my life, I grew up incredibly materialist, lavishing in our capitalistic culture. I eventually became sympathetic towards the plight of people who had less than I. I thought that Marxism, would create equality amongst men by stripping away the classist biases we possess as a capitalistic nation. As I've gotten younger, I realized that as nice as this sentiment seems, at this point in history, I just do not believe that we, as a people, are selfless enough to enact Marxism. I do not ever think we will be selfless enough. Not only is just about our own selfishness that makes Marxism implausible. I believe there are far too many people in this world to have a truly effective and efficient system of Marxism. It would be impossible to create an organized system in which all 9 billion people in the world are equal. We can look at the utopian societies that were created in the 18th and 17th century as examples of Marxism's implausibility. Even with small groups, things like romantic quarrels stood in the way of equality amongst all the people in society. This exemplifies my thought that people are too selfish for equality to exist amongst all people in society. It's unfortunate that this is the case but I believe it to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment