Friday, April 29, 2011

Descartes vs. Hume

In the comparison of Descartes vs. Hume, I believe that both, by only accepting one form of knowledge (For Descartes, pure reason) and (for Hume, personal experience) both fail to reach a balance, thus both are ignorant towards a certain type of knowledge. Both reason and personal experience are essential in order to possess knowledge. By failing to recognize one type or the other, they truly restrict their own intellect. I do, however, find Descartes use of doubt to be essential in developing knowledge. After watching House in class, I have continued to watch the series on my own time. His development of knowledge through doubt is incredible to watch (even if it's fictional) because it displays what we should all do in our daily lives. I, myself, have applied this form of finding knowledge in my own life and it has led me to discover things about myself I would have never found had I never taken this philosophy class.

No comments:

Post a Comment