Monday, February 14, 2011

Virtue in happiness

If happiness is the final and ultimate goal, what is the goal that directly gives us happiness? Is it success? Family? Money? Power? Fame? Can happiness ever really be achieved or can we simply get closer to happiness? Let’s say that happiness is the “fulfillment of one’s function”. Then how do we define our function? Does it change? Is my function today to seek higher education? Once I fulfill that function, does it change to a successful carrier? A wife? Kids? And if our function keeps changing and growing, do we ever truly reach happiness?

I’d argue that our functions do change as we grow and mature. The psychological feeling of happiness comes and goes as we fulfill our current function and accomplish challenges. Could one argue that it is courageous to be happy? I think so. I think it is courageous to fight and accomplish your function and therefore be happy. So a happy person is a courageous person. And to be virtuous in one virtue, you must be virtuous in all virtues. So does that make a happy person a virtuous person?

Are only virtuous men/women happy?

Am I happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment