Saturday, February 26, 2011

Wiping the slate clean


In Descartes’ Meditation number 2 he talks about wiping the slate clean, clearing all preconceived ideas, senses and the like to start from the new. At first I thought of the idea as preposterous but later I was reminded of a dear friend of mine in Arizona, Judith. She was a practicing Buddhist and lived a very simple life, had modest things and loved talking to her animals and plants. Again at first I thought this was preposterous and quite ridiculous but such a different action and approach to life then I have ever witnessed with my own senses, it was like I had no choice but the think on her terms. I had to come up with a reason why. So, I bought a buddhist monk meditation CD, listened to it often, and from that point forward tried to live simply, simpler.

After a while I found myself less stressed, more one with the world if you will. This was approximately 15 years ago and somehow I have slipped back into the norm of things for the most part. I have become less a tuned to my natural needs and wishes and have again bought into the societal must haves of the nice car, the big house, the diamond ring, I hope my wife does find this on my computer, but think about it realistically. What do we need as human beings to really live, to really think as a species?

Who is willing to wipe the slate clean both to challenge yourself philosophically but also to see what you are really made up of, what makes YOU, you? I only need food, water and shelter to survive. EVERY other item/possession I own is extra and damn it is simply too much.

This might be too much for Intro to Philosophy but it is MY reality. I am living in a world where things are taking over my senses. I have now made the decision to start clearing the clutter and wiping the slate clean..........

No comments:

Post a Comment