Monday, February 28, 2011

I think...sometimes...

I am not sure that I am totally on board with Descartes conclusion that we only exist if we are thinking. I do believe that in almost all things in life we have choices and decisions to make, therefore we are thinking. But then I was thinking about an infant and how it survives and makes it to an age where they can think for themselves. Do they survive off of the thoughts of others until they are old enough to do so own their own. Or does nature provide us the correct foundation. A new born does not have to be told that they need food or water to survive. That is existing in my view, however the child does not need to think about this, they just know, as we all do. My realization is that the mind, or soul, or "I" and the body are connected. Their is not one without the other, at least for our time on earth. To exist we must think, but we also must rely on our instinct and the tools nature has provided us with. It is not one thing that leads us to existing and surviving in this world, but rather all things. It is our mind and our body, our thoughts and our senses, our passions and our needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment