Monday, February 21, 2011

ontological

This week we discussed several Ontological arguments. One argued that the meaning of God makes God an absolutely necessary being. If we know the definition, God must exist. For example, if we know what a triangle is, we must know that a 4-sided triangle cannot exist. I believe this argument is complete bullcrap. I can comfortably say that I know what the common definition of God is: an omniscient, benevolent ruler and creator. However, being so stubbornly atheist, I can outright deny that there is a God. The comparison to a triangle is also stupid; I know what the idea of a triangle is, but I can also see triangles, work with triangles, and draw them too. Can’t say the same about God, no matter how many years of reflection and stuff I’ve had.

No comments:

Post a Comment