Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Tomorrow is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life

When we discussed the two philosophical schools the Stoa and the Garden I couldn't help be think of the common phrase I tell myself: "Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life". It usually motivates me if I have had a bad day or want incentive to better myself. It also helps me to look to the future and not dwell on past mistakes or irritations. I was voted biggest procrastinator out of my high school graduating class and do not have trouble living up to the name. It is one of my biggest flaws and affects all of my relationships. Because of this, I often think of Carpe Diem and of "Living each moment to its fullest". However, when I know that "Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life" I often tell myself that tomorrow I will stop procrastinating. These false promises happen so regularly that I sound more like someone trying to quit smoking or an alcoholic than someone who has trouble with time management. What I realized after discussing Carpe Diem in class, however, is that this thought process could cause further pain and stress if I keep putting off happiness and contentment. I should change my phrase to "The next second is the first second of the rest of your life" or " Make this second count ". When you brake time into increments as small as a seconds or even mili-seconds than instead of worrying about whats happening in the evening or tomorrow or next week than it is easier to be positive and productive with your life. A second in your lifetime compared to years or even time itself is so insignificant. So instead of dwelling on negativity or distress we should work on making every second the best. This to me is much more obtainable, is less daunting, and has less pressure than trying to make this the best of my year, or having a flawless day. If each second is productive and working towards a good then they will inevitably accumulate and contribute to a long term good and happiness.

To all of my fellow procrastinators, you might enjoy a few of the many articles and videos that I have accumulated over time through my "googling" and "stumbling" the topic of procrastination. You can put off blogging and read/watch if you would like.

Videos:


Articles:


No comments:

Post a Comment