Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Perfect Island?

At my former college, I studied and wrote a paper on Gaunilo's concept of "The Perfect Island." This subject was so interesting and fascinating to me because it made me think of the infinite possibilities. And that's all it is - the possibility that there could always be something greater - it doesn't even have to exist - you just have to imagine it.

The only problem I have with this argument is that everyone has a different interpretation of "perfect". To me, the perfect husband would be one that makes me happy. According to Gaunilo, the perfect husband could not exist because there could always be a husband that could make me HAPPIER. But, what if the point is just to be happy? I was not measuring the degree of happiness I was feeling - just stating that my perception of the perfect husband could make me happy - period.

No comments:

Post a Comment