Monday, February 21, 2011

Aquinas and the Cop-outs

It's not a band name! Though it might be a good one....dibs!
As I was reading Aquinas' Summa Theologica I kept thinking to myself "He uses really unstable proof for his arguments, all this feeling crap and appeal to authority is really a cop out to me." Thus, the title of this blog was born. It a nice title, I enjoy it.
BUT... I thought a little about where Aquinas was coming from and where I was coming from. I have never really had/understood religion. Well, I understand it but I've never felt the need for it. So most times my way of explaining the world is very dry and notably unromantic. Aquinas on the other hand was a monk (I think), a man dedicated to God and religion and faith. A type of dedication I've never had and never experienced.
I came to the conclusion that the "cop out" I was thinking about was just a type of proof that can be just as real as other type of proof to the same person. I don't think Aquinas wanting to proof to atheists and agnostics that God does exist and the are logically wrong for not believing 100% in him but instead he was giving people with preexisting faith some good reasoning and justification for their feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment