Monday, February 21, 2011

First Cause: “What/Who started it all?”

Last week, Dr. Layne explained the various procedures and questioning once taken by ancient (Plato & Aristotle) and medieval (Anselm & Aquinas) philosophers to analyze cosmological arguments. I’ve always found the concept incredibly fascinating. How did the Universe come into existence? Surely everything that has a beginning must have a cause, right? The existence of First Cause is often used as an argument for the existence of an "unconditioned" or "supreme" being: God. Or is the Big Bang theory responsible? The Universe and its structure clearly demand a cause. Obviously, these questions are highly subjective and downright unfathomable. When you put aside all the philosophical questioning though, I believe it comes down to one thing and one thing only: faith. I was surprised “faith” wasn’t written down anywhere in my notes. Religion should play a major role in the outcome of cosmological arguments (And if it already does, I'm just confused here). I adamantly believe philosophy or science will never be able to prove the origins of the Universe or the existence of God. But as a firm Catholic, I believe in God and the seven days of creation. And no matter what monkey wrench philosophy throws, my First Cause will always be God.

No comments:

Post a Comment