Thursday, February 17, 2011

Stoics

I enjoyed the lecture on the Stoics and Epicureans. It really reminded me of William Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar. Brutus is a stoic, and everyone holds him in a high regard. He reasons with all of his thought and is so calm. Even when death is approaching, Brutus is accepting. He realizes that death is the result of his choices, and he is fully accepting. He knows that he must eventually die. He is completely different from Cassius who is terrified to die.

I think the way the Stoics handle death is very noble. They realize that everyone must die. Life would be much easier for people if they would realize this. A loved one dying is perhaps the hardest thing to handle, but the Stoics have found a way to handle it in a good way. I can see why people usually see Stoics as being cold-hearted, but I think that they have a great philosophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment