Monday, February 21, 2011

reason grounded in faith

In light of our discussion about justification for the existence of God, I think the argument for justification through design is probably the weakest. Design arguments are based off the fact mere fact that the world has design. I can observe that any person who doesn't believe in God could logically say that the "design" of the universe is in fact random, and could have spontaneously occurred at any moment in time. There are simply too many questions that oppose the design argument if you want to justify the existence of God with one proof. Additionally, if the universe is firmly said to have design, how would one propose that there is really a resemblance between the design universe and things made by human beings? Human beings are authors of design as well, but we are merely finite and limited in power. There isn't exactly a formal base that says a designer must be omnipresent, all powerful, and mortal--all the things which believers know God to be. Cicero's quote that says, "what could be more clear or obvious when we look up to the sky and contemplate the heavens, that there is some activity or superior intelligence?", personally makes true sense to me. I, however, have a faith in God that not all people universally do. Faith is certainly the grounds for reason in this case, in that I only see how this argument to be true because I have faith in the existence of God. I understand the justification through design argument because I believe in God already; it simply makes sense to me. I do also see, however, that the design argument is not for everyone, it may appeal only to those who have faith, which is not a universal ideal to every being in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment