Sunday, January 30, 2011

Who's to say you aren't flying if you never look down.

I think about reality a lot and how the basis of perception is often taken for granted. It's easy to get lost in the idea that where you are and what you see, right down to the angle of your eyes and the light of day, will never ever be able to be replicated again. I came up with the quote "who's to say you aren't flying if you never look down" in a poem I wrote awhile ago. Originally when I wrote it, it pertained to dreams and being able to reach beyond the common day (as noted by challenging the notion of walking). Now, taking philosophy I believe this quote may contain a lot more. If I never look at my feet while I'm walking, maybe I'm not walking at all. Yes, in my head I can conceive the idea, and that is what I've asked my body to do. But, what if I ask it to fly, and never look down. Maybe, I'd have to come to the reality that I'm only flying about five feet off the ground, but that doesn't mean I'm not flying, right? This challenging of "reality" can pertain to a lot more than just this idea. Ever action we give a word and a meaning to, but so many times it can be more than that. More than words and action-reality. A basis of OUR perception that may be (and I do believe on many accounts that we do) share with everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment