Monday, January 31, 2011

So All IS Number?

I have never though of math as something beautiful until Friday's class discussion. I like Pythagoreans' idea that everything is related in a unified whole. What I do not understand, however, is how man us the number 250 and justice the number 4. I am curious about the equation and how these numbers are actually achieved. I did not appreciate Pythagoreans' ideas until we were presented with the thought that the soul is through and through number therefore it cannot be destroyed and the body is irrelevant as our essence is number. I could better understand the arche "All is number" after thinking on that statement. Personally, I dwell too much on the body and I forget that our physical presence on earth is actually temporary and our soul is the part of us that cannot be destroyed. Pythagoreans not only reminded me of this but presented the soul in a way that I had never considered before. The idea that my body along with many other bodies could simply be a vessel for the same soul makes me feel more connected to the past. It also makes me want to take better care of the soul that could be passed on after I die. I do not fully believe in reincarnation, but I do think it is comforting to know that I could be, just like everyone else, a vital part of this large puzzle and mathematical equation that makes up the universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment