Monday, January 31, 2011

in light of the pre-socratics

In our discussion of the pre-socratics this past week, I never exactly found a philosopher that I completely identified with or agreed with, but I did find that certain aspects and ideals of some of these philosophers especially appealed to me. I loved Thales' idea of priority over multiplicity, and his psychological idea that to know thyself is to know the all. I don't think I totally agree or understand how to know thyself is to know the all, but I do believe that having a sense of who you are as a human is a significant priority for further understanding and discovery. Also, through his philosophy, his ideology pertains to Phaedo in that the soul is deathless. Secondly, I also could identify with Anaximander's appreciation for mystery, because he says that the final goal of philosophy is unattainable. I agree with him in that I also believe that not all questions relating to philosophy can be answered, and that some ideas are meant to be beyond us as humans, because we are limited. Finally, I enjoyed Pythagorus' philosophical understanding because he has an appreciation for the soul being immortal. In saying that everything is number, he says that we are more than our bodies in essence, because number cannot be destroyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment