Friday, January 28, 2011

Boleyns and Philosophers

The lecture today reminded me of a book I am currently reading named The Other Boleyn Girl. It is a story about two girls who want the same thing at first, and they strive to get it in opposite ways. This reminded me of the arguing of opposites in the Phaedo. Both girls really want King Henry, but only one can have him
The book also reminds me of all the philosophers. Each one thought he was correct. In the book, each girl thinks she is in the right. I feel like this would be many of the ancient philosopher’s views. The book ends with one sister living happily ever after, but the other sister becomes queen and dies shortly after. The sister that became queen got what she wanted but was she actually happy? I think that many philosophers felt this way. Is being famous and well-known better than happiness?

No comments:

Post a Comment