Sunday, January 23, 2011

Ethics and Morality

During Wednesday’s class we spent the majority of the meeting discussing ethics and the difference between ethical codes, and morality. Before that class I had never really thought about the differences between the too. What really is the difference between a moral decision and an ethical one? And is the ethical answer always necessarily the moral one? These are questions I began asking myself during the discussion. Traditionally ethical codes are typically standards held by an entire society. While moral codes are much more personal basing themselves on a persons individual beliefs. But who is to say that a person’s ethical choices don’t really coincide with their morals, or that their morals are not based on the traditional ethical codes of their society. I guess all these questions can be answered through the philosophy of relativism and absolutism, which questions weather moral standards are subjective to each individual or if there is an absolute code of conduct that everyone is born with. The answers to these questions will likely never be answered, as everyone has their own opinion, but I after Wednesdays class I found myself thinking of what the answers may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment