Monday, January 24, 2011

Sophism

When looking through my notes on arguments I came across the term sophistic. Sophism means to deceive someone. When looking up information on this topic I came across Plato response to this idea. "Plato is largely responsible for the modern view of the "sophist" as a greedy instructor who uses rhetorical sleight-of-hand and ambiguities of language in order to deceive, or to support fallacious reasoning. In this view, the sophist is not concerned with truth and justice, but instead seeks power." I believe most "rock stars" have this mentality. The whole rock star image is basically to do whatever it take to get to the top of the business. Rock star's will deceive anyone, lie to anyone, do anything humanly possible just to seek power. The typical rock star will take both sides of an argument because he or she does not want to lose their fans. I believe rock star's feed off of the bad boy style because they are addicted to the feeling of being powerful. This is what I saw as an example of sophist.

No comments:

Post a Comment