Thursday, January 27, 2011

Faulty Cause

Today I realized that I am often making invalid arguments with myself. For example, today I prayed this morning before going to class, something I don't usually do, and I know I did well on my quiz. Then later during work my friend donated some money to one of my fundraisers. I almost immediately thanked God for my good fortune that morning, as if it was Him I needed thank for the good grade on my quiz instead of me studying for it or it was God who spurred my friend to donate. This argument would be a case of faulty cause. But this could also depend on my depth of faith in God. For example, if I believe that all good comes from God, then yes I could say that God spurred my friends giving nature this morning. And maybe I still want to thank God for the fact that the questions on the quiz corresponded with the little material I was able to study. Does that make me illogical? So what is the point of argumentation if people like me choose to believe something somewhat illogical even when we know it? I can’t even remember the last time I heard someone say ‘oh yeah you’re right, I was wrong’. And it’s not just religion, it’s politics, and unfortunately sometimes history and science. Where is the truth?

No comments:

Post a Comment