Saturday, January 29, 2011

Adam Stewart- Thoughts on Plado's Phaedo

Following the reading of Plato's Phaedo I was left hanging with a few unanswered questions.

Pluto claims that we acquire knowledge before birth, and that all "learning" is simply recollection. Well, where was the knowledge first acquired? Where did we first learn the law of equality? Did it happen at the genesis of the "cycle of life?" If so, I find that more of an "excuse" than an "explanation" (Terminal cosmological thinking is my biggest issue with this "philosophy"- as I'm sure it's been with all.) Either way, Pluto states that no knowledge comes from experience; so, experience from a past life could not be responsible for "recalled" knowledge in a souls next life. That said, how can Pluto claim he learned things in the past life, and that's why he knows them now? Finally, Pluto uses the "Argument from Opposites" to prove his theory of equality. If this "argument" can be applied for his theory's benefit, why can't I apply it to Pluto's theory of the immortal soul. If the soul can begin, why can't/ why doesn't it end? Clearly, I'm not on Pluto's level as far as critical thinking and mental connectedness, but his theories are interesting, if not a little confusing. I argue out of respect and curiosity. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment