Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Truth in the Lie

Recently in my Fiction Writing Workshop class I asked my professor about when fiction becomes non-fiction. His answer was, to my understanding: as soon as the story becomes unrecognizable as something to happen to you. So this may be changing the character’s names, the place, and/or other details. But, I couldn’t help feeling that the essential idea of the story could remain in tack. This brought me back to the idea discussed in philosophy class that a person cannot imagine anything that doesn’t already exist. Maybe all fiction is non fiction. Every story comes from a situation that has already happened, nothing can be made up from something that doesn’t or has not existed. It’s only the non essential items of the story (or combination of stories that make one story) that change. And since any story you write is essentially based in some sort of reality/truth what stops a person from telling a story as fiction, that’s actually non-fiction. Which brings me to lies. If something can’t come from nothing essentially all lies are based in truths. So, no lie is 100% because its all based in relativity.

(I believe this theory might fall a part on opinions)

No comments:

Post a Comment