Sunday, March 6, 2011

Pizza and Hume?!!!

In class on Wednesday and Friday, we talked about Hume's Enquiry Concerning Human Knowledge. Saturday night I gave my boyfriend a little lesson in one of his key concerns which is humans using the past to predict what will happen in the future. We were making pizza and my he was joking around saying he was not going to share any with me. I asked why and he replied that I never eat the whole thing anyway. I told him that just because in the past I did not eat all of it does not mean that this time or anytime in the future I will only eat part of my pizza. I also said the past is not a reasonable predictor of future events because things may change. Usually, he would win arguments like this, but it was clear that I was correct. Just because something happened or someone did something in the past does not guarantee it happening in the future. Another example that ties into this is if my boyfriend cheated on me in the past. Even though he did it back then, it does not mean if the opportunity presents itself he will do it again. People are constantly changing and some things that are true of them in the past may not be true of them today. So I showed him!

No comments:

Post a Comment