Saturday, March 26, 2011

Hypatia, self-interested beings, and random stuff

Lately I have been going through some things and at the same time we were covering Marx. In the times when I needed people, it became more apparent how self-interested people are. I would have to agree with Marx when he says that's the way people are and we just have to roll with it pretty much. The Framers of the Constitution also had this in mind as the wrote the important document and people's self-interest became the reason the national government is set up the way it is although it did not minimalize the problem too much.

Also the extra credit film, Agora, made me come to love Hypatia. In our world religion class, my professor always tries to get us to keep an open mind in hearing about other religions. During the time of great turmoil in Alexandria, Hypatia encouraged her students to look past religion and see each other as brothers or maybe even simpler humans. I feel that this is what is needed period. Not only way Hypatia a well-educated woman she embodied the characteristics of a just person. It was great to see my other classes intertwine with this one so I decided to do further research and do a my upcoming religion paper on her.

No comments:

Post a Comment